Ready to take your motorcycle on the open road? Learn to ride at Texas Motorcycle Training®!
Under Texas DMV guidelines, anyone who drives a motorcycle must have a Class M motorcycle license or motorcycle instruction permit. In addition to testing, all first time original applicants must visit a Texas Driver License office and do the following:
- Complete the requirements for an original applicant.
- Present a completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8 or MSB-8R), approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. This completion certificate waives the driving test if you 18 years of age or older.
To obtain a motorcycle learner license (permit), you must:
- Complete the requirements for a learner license.
- Present a completion certificate of the Motorcycle Safety Course (MSB-8), approved by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.
Under Age 18:
- Be a minimum of 15 years of age (restricted to only operate a motorcycle that has not more than a 250 cubic centimeter piston displacement). On the 16th birthday of a special restricted Class M license, the department shall remove the 250 cubic centimeter restriction from the license without completion by the holder of an additional motorcycle operator training course..Complete the requirements for a learner license.
- Present the completion certificate of Driver Education.
- Submit Verification of Attendance and Enrollment in school
- Obtain parental authorization signature
- Pass the mandatory motorcycle driving test. NOTE: For customer convenience, some locations are pre-scheduling the driving exam. Contact your local Driver License office to see if appointments are offered.
The Texas DMV requires that all applicants must pass a written motorcycle knowledge test on traffic signs, motor vehicle laws and safe driving techniques. If you fail the exam, Texas requires you to wait 24 hours to re- take the test again.
All motorcyclists are encouraged to study for this written test so you don't take a chance on standing in line at the DMV Office only to go home empty-handed. Online practice tests are available that provide real sample questions from the Texas DMV Motorcycle Exam. Take the Texas sample motorcycle test now and test your driving knowledge.
Before you head to the Texas DMV Office, make sure you have the following required documents to get your motorcycle license. Examples include but not limited to:
- Proof of Social Security Number
- Proof of Texas vehicle registration and liability insurance on all vehicles you own.
Once your licensing requirements have been met, a Class M endorsement will be added to your driver's license. Remember... the safe operation of a motorcycle requires practiced skill, knowledge, and a respectful understanding of the limitations imposed by the operator, the machine, and the environment.